Wednesday, June 30, 2010

to clue ya'll in

When the X broke my heart in January I was in India, and had been living in New York with said X in a 300 square foot apartment. Two weeks in India post-foot break it became quite clear I would need to have surgery to repair the damage that five Kingfisher Strong's and my lack of coordination wrecked on my body. Realizing I had no home in NYC anymore (even though the X said I could stay and she'd help me for one day* post surgery) I fled back to Colorado and returned to the nest of the 'rents, a place I had flown at the tender age of 17 and never looked back.

The 'rents were loverly and super accommodating taking me from appointment to appointment. Enter the new girl (from here on out TNG). Bright blue eyes, big smile, smarty pants of an environmentalist. I'd known TNG for three years, as she was the X's good friend. The X also happens to be TNG's first girlfriend 13 years prior.

Apparently, TNG had quite a thing for me for some time now. In fact, on my first date with the X, TNG did her damndest to convince me that dating her instead of the X would be advantageous to my well-being as a human being that TNG was well-traveled, college educated, and much nicer to the ladies. I took her advances as flattering, but decided the X was the one for me. So I thanked her, and went on my merry little way.

In the meantime, I got engaged to the X and moved my ass to NYC from Boulder. All the while, TNG stayed in Denver/Boulder area and would insist on seeing me every time I came to town. Of course, being who I am and her position in the X's life I felt it my duty. (Not to mention those visits that came post breakups resulted in lots of space to whine to TNG about the X's inability to do y, z, a...whatever).

So three years later there I was, TNG ready, willing and able to do anything to make sure that I was happy post-surgery. And then one day it happened, I looked at her across a table and realized what a fine human being she was. And the rest they say is history....

Yes. This may make me a bad person.
Yes. It calls into question TNG's moral character.

But then again, how many times can you toss something aside before someone else decides that your trash is their treasure?

Six might well be enough times....

*obviously the nicest person ever. One flipping day of a five day recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment