Thursday, December 23, 2010

To the Woman I Love

She came out of nowhere. One day she wasn’t in my life, the next day she was one of the main thoughts on my mind. There was something about her. A quiet confidence, a subtlety to her entire demeanor that called to me. Something in me begged for more. More contact, more exchanged glances, more words passed between us.


I’d have assumed she was an angel if a) that weren’t so damned clichéd and b) I don’t believe in angels.


I remember very little of how we met (sometime at rugby), how we became acquaintances (eventually by talking to each other), then friends. And maybe I remember so little, because it was so uneventful. So easy. Too easy somedays.


But there she was, a member of my team. A team made up of 40 some-odd women, all of whom were so incredibly different, my mind often felt boggled. But it was her whom everyday would stir something in me. It was her that everywhere I went I was sad to see her go.


I remember Philly.

Had hoped we’d share a room, but instead she stayed elsewhere, without the team. And just like that, she vanished into the city as I awaited a few days to see her again.


I remember the ranch.

Where the two of us suffered under the watch of our rugby coach, hauling palettes, drinking fresh spring water from spiggets in the ground, sleeping in military tents to shield us from the brisk mountain air. She loaned me her jersey because I was cold, and I remember the way it smelled. The way everything she touches smells.


I remember being excited that she was coming with us to Chicago, and devastated when she had to cancel.


And I remember Austin, and the text messages I received from teammates—‘You’re reading into things…’ ‘She isn’t into you…’ ‘Not everyone has a crush on you…’


And from there I hedged. Wrote emails asking for a dinner date, which I never sent. Made plans to visit her in Cheyenne, and promptly cancelled them as butterflies became maelstroms in my gut. We exchanged a few emails; she said she’d be at xyz party. I would always spend the evening curled up alone in bed, not wanting her to see me at my worst or even at my best.


Fate would have it that you can’t hide from such things forever. And a text came, and plans were made. Liquid courage was consumed. And finally, I said something akin to nonsense but along the lines of “Um…I like you. Not just like you but like like you”. Somehow that was all that was required. And just like that there was something more.


Indescribable, simple, peaceful, easy.


To say she’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me would be dramatic. But to say I am lucky would be an understatement.


I’d tell you she’s an angel, but we all know what I feel about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment